more interspecies performance

Aida Jordao a.jordao at UTORONTO.CA
Fri Oct 2 16:42:29 EDT 2009

Here’s one more about fish (and no, it’s not because I’m Portuguese):
Teatro O Bando (Portugal) has a history of performing with live
animals as characters whose fate affects the storyline. In 1984 when I
worked with the group we performed a play about the economic crisis on
the beach and threatened to kill a duckling for food unless someone
fed us!
But surprisingly the most controversial use of an animal by O Bando
was where a character caught a trout (freshwater) and gutted it and
grilled it on stage. Now, you’d think that was a spectacle often seen
and enjoyed by my Luso compatriots but a huge protest ensued. Within
the proscenium, the protection of the animal was demanded.
Aida