CFP: Canadian Performance Genealogies, CATR 2012

Roberta Barker barkerr at DAL.CA
Wed Dec 21 18:13:51 EST 2011

CALL FOR SEMINAR PARTICIPANTS

Canadian Association for Theatre Research/ l’Association canadienne de la recherche théâtrale
Conference 2012, 26-29 May 2012, University of Waterloo and Wilfrid Laurier University, Ontario, Canada

Theatrical Crossroads: Canadian Performance Genealogies

(Seminar Organizer: Roberta Barker, Dalhousie University/University of King’s College)

 The history of performance in the landmass we now know as Canada has been shaped by the transmission not only of texts, but also of less easily fixable elements such as gestures, costumes, uses of space, and tones of voice across generations and cultures. This seminar considers such acts of transmission, which have taken place in exchanges between Indigenous elders and youth and in encounters between First Nations and colonial settlers; during the tours of European and American companies to the Canadian “New World” and the visits of Canadian performers to the “Old”; in conservatory training sessions and in moments of intercultural dialogue between immigrant traditions. Proposals are invited for papers focusing upon specific moments, past or present, when figures, gestures, and images have moved across boundaries of culture, time and/or space in Canadian performance. Among the areas participants may explore are:

-  Exchanges in which particular gestures, role types, visual elements, vocal practices, etc, emerge as recognizable tropes

- Exchanges in which physical or visual performance elements are passed between cultural traditions

- Key moments of performance training (formal or informal)

- Legacies of specific past performance traditions for present ones
Our goal will be to speak across boundaries of methodology and period to consider how performance genealogies founded in the past shape our present and how the exchanges of the present may reshape our understanding of the past.

Participants at all stages of their scholarly work are welcome, as is work in either English or French.  Short papers of 12-15 typed, double-spaced pages will be due by April 1, 2012. Online exchange of feedback on the papers will prepare the group for our seminar meeting in Kitchener-Waterloo.

Interested participants are asked to submit a 250-word proposal and a short bio to Roberta Barker at barkerr at dal.ca by January 15, 2012.

Thank you!

Dr. Roberta Barker
Associate Professor and Chair