Canadian Writers Speak Out on Copyright

mark mccutcheon sonicfiction at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 15 22:16:45 EST 2011

Since many educators as well as theatre practitioners use this listserv, and
since Access Copyright is now proposing a new tariff that's not being
exactly welcomed by all Canadian educational institutions, I'd like to note
that the accuracy of this video's claims is disputed by a Canadian author
and a Canadian copyright lawyer, at the respective links:

Cory Doctorow: "Canadian collecting society uses lies to pit creators
against schools"
http://www.boingboing.net/2011/02/15/canadian-copyright-c-5.html

Howard Knopf: "Education as the "E" word in Bill C-32"
http://excesscopyright.blogspot.com/2011/02/education-as-e-word-in-bill-c-32.html

While I worry that this message may play into the "creators vs. schools"
divide (and I cringe at the prospect of  fanning a "flame war" along such
lines here), I think it's only fair to point out these criticisms (which I'd
call important, though I don't pretend they're representative), so that
creators and educators can make as informed as possible a decision on this
matter -- and, ideally, dialogue constructively with each other about it
(and related issues of common concern in the complex area of copyright).

imho, it is Bill C-32's protection of digital locks that's its *real*
problem. But that's another story.

- Mark A. McCutcheon
Assistant Professor of Literary Studies
Athasbasca University