Freddie Rokem-Distinguished Visiting Professor

Hanrahan, Gail gail.hanrahan at ULETH.CA
Thu Mar 13 13:50:43 EDT 2014

Conrad
I think this is an important issue to bring forward and I applaud you for doing so.
Gail

Gail Hanrahan
Associate Professor
Theatre and Dramatic Arts
University of Lethbridge
(403) 332-5230

From: Canadian Theatre Research [mailto:CANDRAMA at listserv.unb.ca] On Behalf Of Conrad Alexandrowicz
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2014 9:41 AM
To: CANDRAMA at LISTSERV.UNB.CA
Subject: Freddie Rokem-Distinguished Visiting Professor

While I hesitate to bring this up because it causes distress, embarrassment, resentment and even anger, I feel I must do so in order to point directly to an issue of great importance that the academy in Canada seems determined to ignore.

In fact, in Canada as a whole we are very far behind in our recognition and understanding of this issue, that is, the international campaign of BDS-Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions-that was initiated in 2005 against Israel for its crimes against the Palestinian people: its campaign of terror against a population under illegal military occupation, its ongoing program of land theft, its legally established program of discrimination against Palestinian Israelis-at least 20% of the population- as well as the slow-motion genocide that is its appalling siege of Gaza.

This boycott is not solely of goods and commercial interests; its aims and intents also includes the academic the academic sphere.

Please note that the American Studies Association-among many other groups around the world-has endorsed the academic boycott. http://www.bdsmovement.net/activecamps/academic-boycott

"It can never be business as usual. Israeli Universities are an intimate part of the Israeli regime, by active choice. While Palestinians are not able to access universities and schools, Israeli universities produce the research, technology, arguments and leaders for maintaining the occupation. [Ben Gurion University] is no exception. By maintaining links to both the Israeli defence forces and the arms industry, BGU structurally supports and facilitates the Israeli occupation." - Desmond Tutu<http://www.timeslive.co.za/world/article675369.ece/Israeli-ties--a-chance-to-do-the-right-thing>, talking shortly before the University of Johannesburg cut its ties with Ben Gurion University<http://www.bdsmovement.net/2011/uj-bgu-5379>.

I recall hearing Dr. Rokem speak at the 2012 Memory, History, Performance conference at U of O in which I participated, and I gleaned from what he said at various times that he is one of a growing number of progressive Israelis who fully understands the terms of this conflict, as well as the nature of Zionism as a discriminatory ideology. The irony of this situation is that Dr. Rokem is very likely more cognizant than Canada's academic community both of the real nature of the conflict-not that portrayed by media massively influenced by Zionist lobby groups- as well as of the international campaign of BDS-and the fact that it includes academic exchange as much as any other variety.

As difficult as it may be for scholars to address and engage with this issue, I believe that, as in the case of the apartheid regime in South Africa-to which the situation in Palestine/Israel is often compared-the only way to effect real change is to endorse and participate in an all-encompassing program of boycott against a regime that consistently flouts human rights and international law, and has been doing so for decades with impunity.

I hope that you will consider this letter with the same serious intent with which it was written.

Most sincerely,
--
Conrad Alexandrowicz, Associate Professor
Movement, Acting and Devised Physical Theatre

Office: 250.853.3727
Cell: 250.580.5524