[Candrama] New Issue of Performance Matters Published: Backspace: A Special Issue on Dance Studies

Peter Dickinson peter_dickinson at sfu.ca
Sun Jul 7 16:09:23 EDT 2019

Performance Matters has just published its latest issue at
http://performancematters-thejournal.com/index.php/pm. Backspace: A Special Issue on Dance Studies has been guest-edited by Alana Gerecke and Mary Fogarty Woehrel.

We invite you to review the Table of Contents here and then visit our web
site to review articles and items of interest.

Thanks for the continuing interest in our work,
Peter Dickinson
School for the Contemporary Arts/Institute for Performance Studies, Simon
Fraser University
peter_dickinson at sfu.ca<mailto:peter_dickinson at sfu.ca>

Performance Matters
Vol 5, No 1 (2019): Backspace: A Special Issue on Dance Studies
Table of Contents
http://performancematters-thejournal.com/index.php/pm/issue/view/9

--------
Backspace: A Special Issue on Dance Studies (1-6)
        Alana Gerecke,  Mary Fogarty Woehrel

Articles
--------
“Back to Africa”: Ethnocentrism and Colonialism in Montreal’s Festival
International de Nouvelle Danse (7-25)
        Melissa Templeton
A Choreopolitics of Topography: Feeling for Lower Ground in Karen
Jamieson’s The River (26-45)
        Alana Gerecke
Get Thee Behind Me: The Back-Body as a Supporting Figure in Contemporary Performance (46-59)
        Matthew J. Tomkinson
Dancing Bodies, Moving Spaces: Revealing Children’s Movement Encounters in an Integrated Kindergarten Classroom (60-80)
        Coralee McLaren, Patricia McKeever
Racism and Social Space in Canadian Dance: Actants, Structures, and Dancing Differently (81-98)
        Erin Silver
Exploring Production Circuits through a Backstage Investigation of
Competitive Dance in Ontario (99-115)
        Nicole E. M. Marrello
On Popular Dance Aesthetics: Why Backup Dancers Matter to Hip Hop Dance Histories (116-131)
        Mary Fogarty Woehrel

Materials
--------
Dance Machine: Reflections on the Installation Dance Machine, by Lee Su-Feh (132-148)
        Daisy Thompson
Translations – A Dance for the NonVisual Senses (149-157)
        Carolina Bergonzoni, Naomi Brand
Personal Notation Styles in Breaking: Performance, Identity, and Perspective (158-165)
        Joshua Swamy, Mary Fogarty Woehrel
The Boy with the Dancified Body: An "Automythnography" (166-169)
        Sebastian Oreamuno
No Context – A Dance Catalogue and Performance (170-181)
        Victoria Renate Mohr-Blakeney

Forum
--------
Turning Around Dance Research (182-190)
        Karyn Recollet, Seika Boye, VK Preston, Angélique Willkie, Freya Björg Olafson, Lindsay Eales,  Patrick Alcedo, MJ Thompson, Michèle Moss, Alana Gerecke, Mary Fogarty Woehrel

_________________
Peter Dickinson, PhD
604-908-0993 • peter_dickinson at sfu.ca<mailto:peter_dickinson at sfu.ca>

Professor, Department of English
Simon Fraser University • Office: AQ 6117
www.sfu.ca/english<http://www.sfu.ca/english>

Professor, School for the Contemporary Arts
SFU Woodward’s • Office: GCA 3510
www.sfu.ca/sca

Director, Institute for Performance Studies
SFU at Harbour Centre • Office: HC 3205
www.sfu.ca/ips

Editor, Performance Matters
performancematters-thejournal.com

At Simon Fraser University, we live and work on the unceded territories of the Coast Salish peoples. I thank the Musqueam (xʷməθkʷəy̓əm), Squamish (Sḵwx̱wú7mesh),and Tsleil-Waututh First Nations for their hospitality.