[Candrama] Diane Bessai

Day, Moira moira.day at usask.ca
Wed Apr 24 10:09:25 EDT 2024

Dear colleagues,

Adding to Ric's note about the passing of the incomparable Angela Rebeiro, I have to mention the recent passing of another "giant", particularly in the are of Western Canadian theatre and literature, Diane Bessai. Her contribution to the field  and to the profession was recognized by CATR (then ACTR) with an Honorary Lifetime membership at the conference in Edmonton some years back. But as was true of so many of that generation, her greatest achievement was probably felt in the many people she taught, inspired and mentored along the way.

I remember Diane as brilliant, tough, crusty, and no-nonsense. She did not suffer fools gladly, and if she thought you were being one, she told you that pretty frankly. She was also kind, generous, and nurturing, and once she took you into her heart you stayed there. She did so much to help me and others find our wings, first as students, then as a fellow scholars and colleagues. At the start of my career, I took that so much for granted. I know now how lucky I was, and how much I will miss the distinctive warmth and light she brought to the world.

Moira

https://edmontonjournal.remembering.ca/obituary/diane-bessai-1089630911