[Acocoops] You insight and feedback needed - Key lockboxes, deployment lockers

Bill Baer bill.baer at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Nov 29 12:16:31 EST 2023

Hello,

We are collecting data, use cases to develop a business case to present to budget finance committee winter 2024.

Two areas I have discovered need better security and improved monitoring:

  1.  Key management
  2.  Deployment and loans – asset lockers

So, I’m looking for your input on above two. Simply put having a Master key onsite without proper protections, process and protocols is very concerning. It has been very helpful and now clients are expecting us to use it. In the past we were provided funding but the solutions didn’t rise to the level needed.

There are a few contenders (we’re reaching out to vendors already on campus):

  *   Key Systems, Inc. (keystorage.com)<https://www.keystorage.com/>
  *   Electronic key cabinets, depots and drawers- ecos systems (ecos-systems.com)<https://www.ecos-systems.com/en/>
  *   Real Time Networks | Smart Solutions for Managing Assets and Keys<https://www.realtimenetworks.com/>
  *   Snaile Lockers - Canada's Smart Parcel Locker Company<https://snailelockers.com/>

Secondly, since we are considering laptop carts for loaners, and given some key lockbox vendors offer lockers for assets, I felt it important to consider access control lockers for deployments and loaner laptops, etc.

Your input can be suggestions however I’m looking for your input on how to leverage these two technologies to improve our processes and yet ensure we are secure (both keys and assets). Some example use-cases:

  *   Could suggest a cart with laptops be signed out from a large locker.
  *   Or suggest better process on key management such as master key signed out by two individuals during only certain hours?
  *   Possibly locate remote SWAT (PoE) boxes containing key to open that door beside the SWAT box.
  *   Leverage a server wall for locker deployment (so can fill from within server room)

Above are just a few ideas on leveraging the technology which will feed use-cases to the vendors.

PLEASE NOTE ALL FEEDBACK WILL. BE REQUIRED BEFORE TUESDAY NOON, so we can incorporate for the use-cases we want to share with vendors!

NOTE: I hope to leverage morning of December 14th to share along with other updates.

All the best, Bill

--
William R Baer, BASc (Systems Design)
Director IT - Arts Computing Office (ACO)