Motorcycles in Contemporary History lecture

Brandi Gillett Woods bgillett at watarts.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Jan 11 08:48:02 EST 2008

*Please Note:
Dr. Jeffery Alexander will be speaking today in HH-334
*
/Dear Colleagues,

I apologize for the short notice, but it gives me great pleasure to
announce that we're having a special guest in town on Friday, Dr.
Jeffrey Alexander of the University of Wisconsin at Parkside. Dr.
Alexander, who specializes in post-World War II Asian History at
UW-Parkside, will be giving a talk on *Motorcycles in Contemporary
History* (with a focus on Japan). Dr. Alexander has researched the
emergence of motorcycles in recent history, both as a form of travel and
as a cultural symbol. He is engaged in intriguing research on modern
Japan at UW Parkside, and he has given talks at conferences on Japan's
"Motorcycle Wars." His book on Japan's Motorcycle Industry will be
published in 2008, so we get a sneak preview about some very exciting
work underway. Dr. Alexander is originally from Toronto, so this area
feels like home to him.

Dr. Alexander will give a talk on his research this *Friday, January 11,
at 1 pm in Hagey Hall 33*4*.*/