March 12 & 13, 2015: Philosophy Graduate Student Conference

Vicki Brett vbrett at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Mar 10 17:23:07 EDT 2015

The 22nd annual Philosophy Graduate Student Conference will be held Thursday, March 12 and Friday, March 13, 2015 from 9:30 am to 5:00 pm each day in HH 373.

For more information:  https://uwaterloo.ca/philosophy/events/22nd-annual-philosophy-graduate-student-conference

The keynote address will be given by Julia Driver<https://philosophy.artsci.wustl.edu/people/Julia_Driver>, Washington University in St. Louis on Friday, March 13, 2015 at 3:30 pm in HH 373.

Virtue and Moral Deference
A consensus seems to have arisen in the moral testimony literature that moral knowledge can be transmitted solely via testimony. However, some other writers, such as Alison Hills, hold that this is not as significant as it first appears, since the really important issue isn't knowledge, but, rather, understanding.  On her view, reliance on testimony undermines moral understanding, which in turn undermines certain other things that we care about, such as moral worth and virtue.  In this paper I assume, for the sake of argument, that understanding is very different from knowledge.  My targets are some of the significance claims Hills makes for moral understanding.  I argue that virtue requires responsible deference.

Vicki Brett
Undergraduate Coordinator
Philosophy Department
200 University Avenue W.