Bridges Lecture: Wednesday October 26

Alysia Kolentsis amkolentsis at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Oct 19 10:01:36 EDT 2016

Dear colleagues,

Please join us next week for the first lecture of the 2016-2017 Bridges Lecture Series.

Pattern Finding : popular expression of transcendent ideas
Matthew Scott and Soheila Esfahani

Jokes, prayers, stories, art all express our deep need to communicate experience beyond our immediate interactions with the material world. Delight in shape and pattern is found in all folk art traditions back to the farthest reaches of antiquity. Focusing on episodes drawn from all over the world, we will discuss how mathematics plays a vital role in codifying our common experiences of awe and wonderment.

For more info and speaker biographies please see sju.ca/Bridges<https://www.sju.ca/Bridges/news-events/public-events/bridges-lecture-series/pattern-finding-%E2%80%93-popular-expression>. This is a free event, but please register by ordering a ticket<https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/bridges-public-lecture-series-pattern-finding-popular-expression-of-transcendent-ideas-tickets-27131816995>. The public lecture will be followed by a reception and is accompanied by a related art exhibition. Free parking is available at St. Jerome’s University, and please note that the venue has changed.

Wednesday October 26 | 7:30pm
SJ2 1004 | St. Jerome’s University
Map: https://uwaterloo.ca/map/
Please register for a ticket: http://bridgeslecturepatternfinding.eventbrite.ca<https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/bridges-public-lecture-series-pattern-finding-popular-expression-of-transcendent-ideas-tickets-27131816995>

Sponsors: Faculties of Arts, Science and Mathematics; St. Jerome’s University; and the Fields Institute.

Best wishes,

Alysia