[CTN] seminar June 12

Sue Ann Campbell sacampbell at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Jun 6 17:44:34 EDT 2012

Hello,

Please see below for details of a talk which may be of interest.
I've asked the speaker to make the talk accessible to an interdisciplinary
audience.  He will be visiting Waterloo for several days, so if you are
interested in meeting with him, let me know.

Sue Ann

Applied Math Seminar
Tuesday, June 12, 3:30 p.m. MC5158

Optimal Control of Neurons

Ali Nabi
Department of Mechanical Engineering
University of California at Santa Barbara

Motivated by issues related to treating certain neurological diseases such
as Parkinson's disease by a method called electrical deep brain stimulation,
we consider applying optimal control methods to both mathematical models of
neurons and in vitro neurons.  Patients suffering from Parkinson's disease
experience involuntary tremors that typically affect the distal portion
of their upper limbs.  It has been hypothesized that these tremors are
associated with simultaneous spiking of a cluster of neurons in the thalamus
and basal ganglia regions of the brain.  In a healthy situation, the periodic
ring of neurons is not synchronized, but they can engage in a pathological
synchrony and all fire at the same time which results in release of strong
action potentials that trigger the downstream muscles with periodic shocks,
manifested as tremors.

In this talk, we investigate the control of different neuronal systems
using methods of optimal control.  The neuronal systems considered range
from simple one-dimensional phase models to multi-dimensional conductance-based
models, both on a single neuron level and on a population level.  The
optimal control methods considered produce event-based, continuous-time,
typically bounded input stimuli that can optimally achieve the desired
control objective.  The optimality criterion considered is minimum energy.
The control objectives of interest are the interspike interval for single
neurons and desynchrony for populations of neurons.  The applicability of
the interspike interval controller is shown in practice by testing it
on single in vitro pyramidal neurons in the CA1 region of rat hippocampus.

--
Dr. S.A. Campbell                   Professor
Department of Applied Mathematics   office: MC5124
University of Waterloo              email: sacampbell at uwaterloo.ca
Waterloo Ontario                    phone:(519)888-4567 x35461
N2L 3G1                             fax:(519)746-4319
Canada                              http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~sacampbe