[CTN] CTN Seminar: Gunnar Blohm (Queens), 3:30 Tuesday March 28, PAS 2464

Bryan Tripp bptripp at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 23:35:03 EDT 2017

Hi everyone,

Please join us for the final CTN seminar of the year, with speaker Gunnar
Blohm. The title and abstract follow.

Bryan

Spiking networks for decision making and working memory

G. Blohm

Queen’s University, Centre for Neuroscience Studies, Departments of
Biomedical and Molecular Sciences, Mathematics & Statistics, Psychology,
School of Computing; and Canadian Action and Perception Network (CAPnet)

Decision making and working memory are central to cognition. Working memory
is the transient retention and manipulation of information that can then be
used to make a selection among choices, i.e. a decision. I propose a
unifying framework of neural dynamics that could underlie different key
features of decision making (such as the speed-accuracy trade-off) and
working memory (such as capacity, distractibility and overload). We
developed spiking neural models that capture decisions and working memory
independently or within the same network as a function of a single
(cognitive) control parameter, which we propose to be distal network
disinhibition. The predicted neural mechanisms are helpful in understanding
canonical computations underlying a variety of cognitive process beyond
decisions and working memory.